Thursday, January 27, 2011

I hate blogging!

With my computer completely useless thanks to a (i think) virus, and my inability to upload photos from my iPhone, blogging has becoming increasingly difficult. I can only do it on the computers here at school. It's getting a bit frustrating because I hate coming in early, and we all leave right after school to do things more fun than blogging. Anyway, I'm heading to Baños tonight for a long weekend, so I'll be unable to blog again until Monday afternoon. Which brings me to triage: will this post be about last weekend at Otavalo, or about family life, and pictures of my home?

In my effort to stay sane and go the easy route, I'll talk about my family life, and stay a weekend behind, like I've always been. Here we go:

My Empleada: (maid, but literally "employee") had abandoned us for two weeks now. To my complete relief, I woke up this morning to the voice of a different woman, our new empleada! This is fascinating news, seeing as how I was really running low on boxers and socks, as well as just about everything. Before today, I was getting pretty concerned as to what to do next, because I didn't move here to do laundry. As terrible as that sounds, I honestly have zero idea how to do anything in the house; I've never washed a dish, washed clothes, cleaned the bathroom, or anything other than make my bed (a whole different topic).

My Bed: is terrible. It's apparrently common for Ecuadorian bedsprings to have 4 springs. I'm not really sure why, but because of this, I sleep in what I call my "bowl." To solve this, I put one of my pillows at the bottom of the bowl, topped by a folded blanket. This slightly helped to counteract the bowl situation, but in order for my mom not to find out that I disapprove her bed (I already said everything was perfect), I have to make the bed everyday. Tragic, I know.

My Family: is anti-social. The only thing we do at night when we're all at home is watch TV in our own separate rooms. While this isn't terrible, I sometimes wish we'd be able to hang out together, and that I'd become good friends with my brother. My mom is divorced, but it took a little while to figure this out. I live with one brother, about 24 yrs old, who works for Customs in the airport, and is attending a University. Needless to say, he's never around. I still haven't figured out what my mom does for a living, and I haven't bothered to ask yet; what if she's a coke dealer, and she'd have to kill me after she told me? That would be truely tragic.

My double-living room, with views of the city.

My House: is really nice, I like it a lot. I have my own room complete with a TV, closet, desk, and 4 plug-ins! I've learned that compared to most my friends in the program that my house is one of the biggest! Living it up in luxury, that's for sure.

Well, I planned an hour before class to get this blog posted, and I already ran out of time. Slow computers, images failing to upload, and other things have prevented my literary genius from being transferred to my blog.

I have no other options, other than to attempt to upload more pictures of my abode on Monday, the other pictures I really wanted to include are of the views of the city from my living room and dining room.

Wishing I was more funny,

Blair

4 comments:

  1. Great pix of your living room and bedroom... really helps to know what your house looks like. Can you bring your Empleada home with you in March and leave her with me? That's too bad that your family doesn't hang out together .. seems like it would add alot to your experience.
    Looking forward (even if your aren't) to your next post about Otavalo and Banos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE hilarious, Blair. This is good stuff, even if you don't think so and keep it up because you'll appreciate having a record of it. You're missed back here. There's some major drama at the house...I can't wait to hear your reaction.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see where you live and especially your "cozy bed".........thats a HOOT! Do you eat any meals with the family? Wish you could get into some conversations with you MOM & Bro. Can you send a photo of them on your BLOG?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, I actually do eat just about every meal with one of them, breakfast and lunch usually with my mom, and late dinner with my brother. We do actually talk, most often with my mom, but only during meals. We've talked about everything from Ecuadorian politics to how my weekend trips go.
    I guess I made it sound worse than it actually is, maybe just for comedy's sake. I will get a picture with them sometime soon, we'll see when it's convenient.

    ReplyDelete