Sunday, January 9, 2011

¿sí?


I have yet to meet a single person who can speak English. This is both great, and a little intimidating at the same time. With school starting tomorrow, this weekend has been spent relaxing, getting accustomed to the altitude (9000+ ft), and meeting my WHOLE extended family. Communicating has been coming easier than I had expected, but I was still hoping that maybe one member of the family spoke some English, just to make sure I still know how to speak my own language. Even our dog, Lorenzo, doesn't understand me in English. While you may be saying, "of course not, no dog can communicate in English," it's still weird to get used to the fact that he doesn't know what "good dog" or "come here, Lorenzo" or "hey buddy, did you miss me?" means. 
The good side of not understanding every word spoken to me is that I always say "sí," which has brought me on some interesting adventures so far. Among other places, my mom ad brother took me to and OLD neighborhood called Guápulo, home to an ancient Catholic church built in the 17th Century (pictured above) The only way to get to it was to take a steep, winding, cobblestone road, the kind of road you could only imagine in ridiculously unbelievable car chase seen from a movie. The kind of road you could only imagine would exist in South America. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Blair, really wanting to hear about school...how are your classes, how do you get there, and what's it like speaking non-stop spanish? And what's your family like?
    love ya, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. school officially starts tomorrow, so we had our orientation ( which happened to be all in english) on Monday, and today we did some tourist-y things around town- I'll write another post about it tomorrow. my family is just my mom and brother, he's 22 but it's common to live with parents until marriage. speaking only Spanish in my house is different, but I like it a lot, and it's coming way easier than I had expected. talking with store employees and the like, however, has been a little bit more difficult only because they don't speak any slower than usual for us.
    I take the bus with two school-mates, it's only 25 cents and school is only 4 stops away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for yours and glad I'm able to comment now! Poured lots of snow here all night and more is predicted so ENJOY living near the equator!! :^)

    ReplyDelete